Carman - San Bernardino, CA
|Location:||San Bernardino, CA|
|Salary Range:||Commensurate with Experience|
|Benefits:||Excellent benefits include matching 401k with immediate vesting, BCBS Medical/Dental, paid Vacation and Holidays|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
Progress Rail Services Corporation, a Caterpillar Company and a leading provider of services to the Railroad industry in the US, Canada, Mexico, and Brazil, has one opening for Carman - Railcar Repairer at our facility located in San Bernardino, CA.
Perform the inspection and repair on inbound/outbound trains/ railcars, initial and single car air tests and other job related duties as assigned in accordance with FRA Regulations and AAR Guidlelines.
- Inspect, repair, rebuild and service railroad freight cars. This is accomplished through the use of hand tools, power tools, cutting torches and welding equipment. Work is of a physical nature and involves kneeling, bending and stooping.
- Conduct Inspections of Rolling Stock (freight cars, flatcars, tank cars, etc.). Inspect rolling stock for defects or evidence of wear; inspect rolling stock for compliance with industry standards; inspect lading for shifting loads, clearances, and compliance with rules; inspect rolling stock damaged in derailments or collisions; conduct pre-trip inspections (air brake tests, fuel, etc.).
- Perform Scheduled and On Demand Maintenance. Perform initial terminal air brake tests and other pre-trip maintenance; lubricate journals; clean and prepare surfaces for painting.
- Repair Rolling Stock Structural Components. Fabricate, cut, and perform rough finish operations on metal and wood replacement parts; fasten and assemble car parts by riveting, bolting, welding, and other methods.
- Remove and Replace Defective Appliances and Components. Remove and replace defective components on rolling stock (trucks, shoes, coupler assemblies, air brake systems).
- Work With Shop Machines and Tools. Safely and effectively operate the following; acetylene torches, non-power tools (pliers, wrenches, hammers), power tools (drills, power saws, grinders); electric and gas welding equipment.
- Practice Safe Work Habits. Understand and follow company and industry safety rules, practices, and procedures, wear prescribed safety apparel; take appropriate action when conditions threaten safety of self or coworkers; ensure equipment and work area are in safe operating condition before starting work.
Minimum 1 year mechanical experience using small hand tools
Must have a Valid Drivers License
Must be able to meet requirements of post-offer drug test, fitness-for-duty medical review, and criminal history review of misdemeanor and/or felony convictions in the past seven (7) years.
Must be able to work any shift, day, hour, weekends and holidays as needed.
Essential Job Functions:
•· Physically demanding work and involves frequent bending, kneeling, stooping, lifting, climbing and walking on uneven surfaces.
•· Must work outside in all types of weather conditions (rain, wind, dust, heat/cold).
•· Ability to read precision gauges and instruments.
•· Ability to read and understand mechanical maintenance manuals.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
Equal Opportunity Employer - M/F/D/V
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.